Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Tragedy and sadness

Today has been one of those days. I have been having MORE problems with my eyes the never ending saga continues. Basically, I will keep this short and say that I have to wear glasses and really limit my contact lens use. I wont bore everyone with the details, but at this point I am praying that I can get my eyes to a point that they are healthy again.

Each day I read articles and updates on the law. Today I read an article that literally made me sick. I had to stand up, close the door to my office, and cry. I read about a woman in NC who worked double shifts at a nursing home. She was going to trial for the murder of her son. Basically, she had no one to care for her 8 year old son. So she would leave him in her car (the prosecution argued that she sometimes left him in the trunk, but she denied that). She admitted that she would leave him in the car for her 16 hour shift, and she told him never to leave the car. She gave him diapers to go to the bathroom. He died on a hot summer day. I know the news is filled with tragedy, but I cannot get this child out of my head. I am just sick with grief. I am sick for the mother that felt she had no other support, no options, and no other way to support her family. I am sick for an 8 year old boy that obeyed his mother even though it cost him his life. I am sick to think of the horrendous lives that some children have to live. I hate stories like this because I always think, What can I do to prevent this from happening to any other child? How can I learn from this? What power do I have to help change someone elses life for the better? I have no answers.

No comments: