Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lent

The season of Lent is upon us. We had a beautiful Ash Wednesday Service last night. Mike shared this scripture:

Ephesians 4:28 (New International Version): He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.

I loved Mike’s take on the season of Lent. According to the verse and Mike’s challenge, it is not enough to simply give something up. If you give something up, it leaves an empty space. Thus, we were challenged to fill the space that is left by what we give up by taking on something positive. We each wrote down what we are giving up and what we are taking on.

I have decided to give up sweets, sodas, sweet tea, etc. I chose this not only because this will be a true sacrifice, but also because like many people, I tend to turn to sweets and crave sweets when I am stressed and to help me with an emotional need. I have decided to take on encouraging acts for others. When I crave sweets, I plan to focus on something outside of myself – I plan to write an email to encourage a friend, send a note to someone that is lonely, or do something nice to brighten someone’s day. I hope that by taking the focus off of myself, I will be able to be more Christ like.

On another note, I have been working out regularly at the gym. I get up at 5:30 am 4 mornings a week to work out for an hour. I lift weights 2 days a week and do aerobic activity 4 days a week. When I have time I still do Yoga. I have not lost weight, instead I have gained. However, I can tell that I have toned up and my cloths fit better. If nothing else, I am much less stressed and at least I feel healthier!

I am having laser vision surgery tomorrow. I am nervous, but at the same time I am so excited. I have worn glasses since fourth grade. My vision is so bad that I cannot see anything on the eye chart – I only see a white blob. I also have astigmatism. For about the past year I have not been able to wear contacts. I am excited about the freedom that I will have from glasses.

No comments: